In 1256 the Christian foundation of the Villa de Alcoy dates, and from 1305 it had its first urban expansion or suburb that in the 14th century was called Pobla Nova de Sant Jordi or Vilanova d’Alcoi. The Raval Vell was defended by a wall and several towers, of which the remains of the so-called Torre de l’Andana (in Placeta de les Xiques), Torre de N’Aiça and Torre-portal de Riquer, which have been preserved, At the same time, it was the access door to the town through the old way of Castilla or Madrid. At the beginning of the 18th century, on the occasion of the War of Succession, a bastion was built next to the Torre de N’Aiça. Years later, the towers were adapted for housing and a wider door – called Arc de Sant Roc- – was opened on the wall of Carrer de la Puríssima, to allow carriage access through Carrer de Sant Roc.
Observations: Urban space.